We present to you 16 innovative startups in education for the First Call for SEK Edtech Accelerator, the first vertical accelerator in education based in Spain and working internationally.
After closing the call for nominations last January 22, 2016, there were a total of 40 startups from 10 countries which applied to our acceleration program. We used different media for their dissemination and reference platforms for entrepreneurs as SEK Lab at F6S and StartupXplore.
Having analyzed each of the candidates, a total of 34 met the requirements we established and we had to evaluate them one by one by a wide first-class jury made up of true and passionate experts in education.
Alvaro Varona from Editorial SM, Alejandro Fernandez from Fundación La Caixa, Catalina Parra from FundacionHazloposible, Nacho Villoch from Centro de Innovación BBVA, Roberto Palencia, the founder of Foro de Economia Digital, Angel Blanco from Klassdata, Cristina Alvarez from Bolsa Social, Javier Cuervo from Medianet, Carmen Garcia from Faraday Venture Parners, Blanca Narvaez from Fundacion Junior Achievement, Francesco Sandulli from UCJC, Jesus Torres from the Educational Institution SEK, Felix Lopez from SEK Lab, Israel Gutierrez from Edupreneurs, Paloma Castellano from Wayra, Manu Quero from Google and lastly professor Stephen Heppell.
During 5 days we went through one by one their proposals of value, their differentiation regarding the startup existing competence, business model, leading team and its major milestones.
After discussing it for more than 2 hours, the following finalist startups were selected:
- From Cameroon with the aim of generating employment among young people in Africa thanks to their talent and reduced costs – 1task1job.com
- From Madrid a platform for recent graduates to find the best scholarships for learning and start making money- https://www.becash.es/accounts/login/?next=/
- From Madrid and San Francisco (Silicon Valley) a startup that has already raised its first round of financing, a most amazing Apps for kids http://chilikids.com/es/
- A Galician tandem that awakens the creative side of children to invent their own stories http://www.creappcuentos.com/
- A Madrid startup that democratizes access to an interactive science education and practices and fosters researchers vocation – http://www.escuelab.es/
- A Córdoba startup that gives us all kinds of resources to create a more dynamic, original, interactive content without even knowing – https://www.genial.ly/
- A Madrid startup that has developed a powerful App to make us more efficient, more productive and organized – http://hightrack.me/
- Madrid-based startup that offers the best services and solutions to all international students who wish to enter the International University System. They are responsible for all the bureaucracy http://www.hostudents.com/
- From Italy a startup which markets fantastic kits for children to take a leap into programming and prototyping http://www.intoino.com/
- iTopTraining, Madrid, proposes an adaptive e-Learning software (IADLearning), integrated with any LMS system and provides custom navigation recommendations on the content of a course, depending on the student profile http://www.iadlearning.com/
- A website that provides parents with hundreds of ideas to live their leisure family time http://www.ocioparapeques.com
- An App for music teachers and students that makes learning faster and intuitive http://pentagrom.com/
- Online training platform in the audiovisual sector http://pildorea.com/
- App that allows teachers to correct online and give better feedback to their students. http://www.revise.ly
- A digital platform specialized in Early Childhood Education and elementary schools, which helps to manage educational centers easily and productively. http://www.schooltivity.com
- Educational identity for teachers and leaders with users in 15 countries in Latin America http://www.docente.me/
Who will be the 8 selected startups? We’ll find out on February 29th 2016 in the elevator pitch at the BBVA Innovation Centre.